Cambridge / London | Full-time | Permanent
Riverlane builds revolutionary software that enables quantum computers to tackle some of the world’s most intractable challenges. We’re backed by leading venture-capital funds and the University of Cambridge.
Just a few years ago quantum computing lived in the realm of theory and dreams. Today we’re making this a reality.
As our Head of Product Marketing, you’ll play a critical role in transforming our software and applications from experimental science into valuable commercial products serving both quantum hardware companies and pioneering industries. We’re at the very beginning of this incredible journey so the world is your oyster.
You’ll join a collaborative, close-knit team of scientists, engineers and marketers jointly committed to solving hard problems and building a great company and culture. As a growing scale-up company, you will have the freedom to think independently and creatively as well as contribute to Riverlane’s business development.
About the role
Are you a talented, ambitious, tech-driven product marketing leader who’d kill for the opportunity to build a global product marketing function from bottom up in a world-leading technology company at the cutting edge of human scientific discovery?
Does helping tackle some of humanity’s most intractable problems such as climate change and incurable disease really fire you up? We’re pivoting from a research-led to a product-driven company and culture. We’ve recently created four distinct product teams plus product and partnership functions and industry teams.
We’ve just hired our first global CMO. Now we want to hire you as our first senior marketer to build and lead product marketing from ground zero. You’ll be a critical player in helping us scale, grow and succeed.
Reporting to our new CMO and collaborating hand in glove with the Chief Product Officer, Product Managers and business development colleagues, you’ll help define our overall product marketing strategy, core product propositions, go to market (GTM) strategies (with a focus on quantum hardware companies, academic labs, enterprises in the pharmaceutical and chemical industries) and governments. You’ll also develop the short- and longer-term blueprint for our marketing technology tools and ‘stack’.
As the first strategic marketing hire in a fast-growing company at the crossroads of one of the world’s most dynamic areas of business and scientific growth, you’ll have autonomy to think creatively and independently. As such, this role offers serious personal and career growth potential.
What you will do
- Develop product and market expertise – both in the quantum computing sector and in our key vertical sectors – through internal learning & external research
- Build a comprehensive product marketing strategy, plan, metrics
- Develop and then execute a blueprint for the product marketing team, tools and platforms we need from now for the next three years +
- Work with product managers to develop insight-based user value propositions
- Jointly with the product team, be a champion and voice of the customer within the company
- Develop and execute strategies for identifying the most impactful marketing channels for our individual products, based on persona and market insight; this will include digital marketing as well as conference and exhibition marketing
- Gather and process data on the impact and resonance of our products with customers; put systems in place for an evidence-based approach to marketing activities
- Start building the right foundations for lead identification, generation and follow-up for our products
- Join colleagues in developing a flexible product, feature and benefit messaging and naming taxonomy
- Construct ‘Go to Market’ (GTM) strategic plans and execute the marketing aspects of product launches as well as ongoing product marketing campaigns
- Produce product collateral and marketing materials (working with external partners)
- Participate in cross functional product and project teams
- Be a marketing representative at industry and scientific conferences
- Build and lead a global team of product marketers (over time)
What we need
- Demonstrable success in previous business to business (B2B) marketing roles in the tech sector, preferably with a deep tech product(s), computer hardware and/or software
- Experience in product-centric marketing, in particular in articulating compelling value propositions to a technical audience
- Demonstrable experience in working with complex scientific and technological concepts; the ability to express them in clear written and visual language
- A customer/user obsession in everything you do
- Business acumen to translate Riverlane’s capabilities into business value
- Collaborative cross-functional team player
- High level of data literacy and a data-driven approach to product marketing
- Some relevant experience with technical sales enablement
- Startup personality: smart, ethical, can do, driven and proactive
- Bachelor’s degree in any field
- Experience in B2B technology marketing (at least half of which is in Product Marketing)
- Track record of achieving commercial results
- Excellent written and spoken English
Even better if
- Further languages desirable, but not essential
- Chemical and/or pharmaceutical industry knowledge is desirable (though not essential)
- Some knowledge of quantum computing is not a prerequisite, but you need a genuine desire to learn about the topic
How to apply
Please upload a CV and covering letter by clicking ‘Apply Now’. Your covering letter should explain why you are applying for the job and what skills and experience you can bring to the role.
If you have any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Everyone is welcome at Riverlane. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from eligible and suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender reassignment, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity/paternity.
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, please let us know. We will be happy to help.