Cambridge, UK | Full-time | Permanent | £46,000 - £55,000
Riverlane is the world’s first quantum engineering company. We are hardware obsessed, qubit agile and commercially driven. We’re a passionate team collaboratively tackling some of humanity’s biggest opportunities, from climate change to materials science and new drug discovery.
You will join our cross-disciplinary team of software developers, mathematicians, quantum information theorists, computational chemists and physicists – all world experts in their fields. Our collaborative, close-knit team has a track record of delivering high-quality R&D across the full quantum stack. As a growing company, you will have the freedom to think independently and creatively, as well as contribute to Riverlane’s business development
About the role
As a software engineer, you will work on the software layer that is in between the UI and the embedded software. You will gain a complete understanding of this layer, writing code that interfaces with the UI as well as writing code that controls the hardware via the embedded layer. You will design parts of this stack and take it all the way to testing on real hardware. Prior knowledge of Quantum Computing is not required for this role.
What you will do
- Understand functional requirements and specifications, coming from the system architect and experimental physicists
- Expand the API programming model of the embedded software and programmable logic
- Collaborate with front-end developers to develop user interfaces and Python APIs to improve the usability and functionality of Deltaflow Control
- Implement and design software code that translates user experiments into sequences of timing-accurate operations to be executed by the embedded software and FPGA logic
- Write correct, maintainable and fast code as part of a growing development team
You do not need a background in quantum computing as relevant training will be given.
What we need
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics or a related discipline
- Good understanding of basic computer science data structures and algorithms
- Proficiency in Python and object-oriented programming
- Experience building web applications with React and Typescript
- Experience in backend development with Django, FastAPI, Flask or other web frameworks
- Ability to write effective end-to-end tests
- Experience using Git
- Familiar with Docker containers
How to apply
Please upload a CV and covering letter by clicking 'Apply Now'. Your covering letter should explain why you are applying for the job and what skills and experience you can bring to the role.
If you have any queries, please contact email@example.com.
Everyone is welcome at Riverlane. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from eligible and suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender reassignment, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity/paternity.
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, please let us know. We will be happy to help.