Cambridge, UK | Full-time | 10-12 weeks
Riverlane’s mission is to make quantum computing useful far sooner than previously imaginable, starting an era of human progress as significant as the industrial and digital revolutions. Large and reliable quantum computers have the potential to turn fields like clean energy, drug design and aerospace upside down. We’re building the Operating System for these pioneering new machines, leading the world to tackle quantum computing’s defining challenge: error correction. We’re growing fast and making remarkable progress.
About the role
Our full-time Product Design Internship is designed to enable current students on a design degree to translate their skills and expertise into an industrial setting. You will join us at our office in Cambridge, UK, for 10 to 12 weeks, where you will have the opportunity to work alongside our world-class team of developers, mathematicians, product managers and designers.
We’re looking for a creative and driven individual who’s excited to lead the end-to-end design work on a digital design project, with support and guidance from a dedicated supervisor. Your work will include engaging with users and other stakeholders to derive requirements and insights, ideating solutions within an interdisciplinary team to tackle the challenges you’ve identified, prototyping your ideas and validating your work with our users. You will gain experience throughout the whole development cycle, ranging from initial concept exploration right through to user testing. We are looking for a candidate who’s keen to learn, explore and push the boundaries of design in an exciting new field.
What you will do
- Own the design process for a project at Riverlane
- Leverage desk-based research and user interviews to define requirements and gather insights
- Work collaboratively with engineers, product managers and designers to create innovative solutions to real problems
- Prototype ideas and solutions to test and develop your concepts
- Engage with users to validate and refine your prototypes
What we need
- You to be in at least your third year of an undergraduate degree, or studying for a master’s in design or a related discipline
- Experience with Figma or Sketch (or similar design software)
- Ability to work closely with users, through interviews and user testing
- A track-record of producing innovative and creative ideas
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and in teams
- Excited to explore and learn about a new industry and fresh design space
Even better if
- You have prior experience designing for a technical audience
- You have prior UX experience
- You have some coding experience (e.g. python or web development)
- We only accept applications from (i) current university students who are UK / Irish nationals or have UK / Irish settled status.
- We do not provide sponsorship or letters of support for sponsorship applications for our internship scheme.
- You must be available full-time for 10 to 12 weeks over the summer, preferably between late June and late September 2023.
- Internships are based at our office in Cambridge, UK.
- We require a signed agreement from you assigning the ownership of any IP produced during your internship to Riverlane.
Please submit your application by 17th February 2023. Interviews will be held in Cambridge or via Zoom in March 2023.
Upon application, please attach recent portfolio, or for online portfolios, please upload a file containing a link to the portfolio.
Interns receive a competitive stipend. The stipend is £27,000 (pro rata). We will also pay for any expenses incurred as part of your role e.g. travel to meetings or conferences etc. We do not pay for travel to Cambridge or accommodation in Cambridge.
How to apply
Please upload a CV and covering letter by clicking 'Apply Now'. Your covering letter should explain why you are applying for the job and what skills and experience you can bring to the role.
If you have any queries, please contact email@example.com.
Everyone is welcome at Riverlane. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from eligible and suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender reassignment, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity/paternity.
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, please let us know. We will be happy to help.