Cambridge, UK | Full-time | Permanent | Salary: £52,000 - £75,000
Riverlane’s mission is to make quantum computing useful far sooner than previously imaginable, starting an era of human progress as significant as the industrial and digital revolutions. Large and reliable quantum computers have the potential to turn fields like clean energy, drug design and aerospace upside down. We’re building the Operating System for these pioneering new machines, leading the world to tackle quantum computing’s defining challenge: error correction. We’re growing fast and making remarkable progress.
About the role
Delivery Managers are embedded within our cross-functional value streams, which include scientists, engineers, product managers and other technical roles. The successful candidate will provide a blend of team coaching and project management to support value streams to effectively deliver outcomes. This role could require supporting teams working on:
- Developing and implementing algorithms that will accelerate the use of quantum computing, this could mean helping teams developing and implementing fast decoding algorithms for quantum error correction, designing novel quantum codes for different hardware architectures, and designing protocols for executing fault-tolerant quantum logic.
- Publishing and promoting high-impact scientific research papers.
- Product development flow i.e. understanding the problem space, specifying an architecture, developing code, and taking the design through to implementation.
What you will do
This role will be critical in helping support and lead a value stream. You will work on the following areas:
- Team-level processes
- Development process – lean, agile process expert
- Defining/applying/setting processes; maintenance, reviews, and improvements
- Best practice in team dynamics; multiskilling and knowledge sharing
- Coordinate and own value stream release processes (software product based)
- Release planning; scheduling and tracking/progress reporting
- Iteration-based planning; sprint, cycle, time-based etc.
- Monitor and communicate team-level staffing, IP and budget needs
- Tailor relevant processes to each of the teams being supported e.g. research, algorithm development, research tool implementation or software implementation
- Development process – lean, agile process expert
- Team-level coaching on ways of working
- Responsible for team dynamics – this requires a working technical knowledge of what the team is doing and the choices they have to make to deliver relevant outcomes
- Ensure the team understands its mission and that team members understand their role in delivering that mission
- Team-level ceremonies such as retrospectives, reviews, and health checks
- Team infrastructure
- Support team with development tool selection and operations (Jira, Confluence, Miro, etc)
- Support teams to use visualisation and analytics tools that focus on development flow (kanban boards, flow metrics, cycle times etc)
- Support team to articulate compute needs
- Clear communication plan and strategy
- Collaborative cross-development value stream communications
- Collaborative cross-company communications, including liaising with marketing, business development and finance functions
- Ensure strong external partner engagement
- Project management
- Ensure roles and responsibilities are clearly delineated
- Effectively manage projects: organise project meetings, set-up and follow project plans (Gantt charts etc), risk management, IP management, exploitation plan etc.
- Ensure projects are on time and on budget
- Ensure paperwork and formalities are in order
- Ensure all stakeholders are involved appropriately
- Ensure externally-funded projects/grants are well managed, including overseeing kick-off meetings, quarterly progress monitoring meetings, second-level project plans, financial reports, budgeting and expenses. ..
- Stream-level processes
What we need
- A degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related discipline
- Experience working in deep tech or research environments.
- Experience in prioritising tasks and working to tight deadlines.
- Experience in designing and implementing new processes, and a focus on continuous improvements.
- Excellent problem-solving and project-management skills
- Allergic to waste
- Experience in designing and implementing new processes, especially with a focus on building strong learning loops and delivering continuous improvement
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills with an organised approach to work
- Highly motivated and hardworking, with energy and enthusiasm to achieve ambitious targets
- An interest in quantum computing (previous experience not a must, but beneficial)
Even better if
- Someone who has previously held Project Manager, Programme Manager, Coaching or Delivery Manager roles
- Experience in coaching/mentoring
- Experience working in a software B2B environment
- Experience of product management in research or deep tech
How to apply
Please upload a CV and covering letter by clicking 'Apply Now'. Your covering letter should explain why you are applying for the job and what skills and experience you can bring to the role.
If you have any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Everyone is welcome at Riverlane. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from eligible and suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender reassignment, religion or belief, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, or pregnancy and maternity/paternity.
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, please let us know. We will be happy to help.